Saturday, January 1, 2011

Excited to Begin 2011!

It is the first day of the New Year and I am excited to have a Blog. This is my first "real" blog and I hope to share with anyone who will participate with me ideas and thoughts about mentoring.  As I look at this new year which is moving into place I realize several things:


First, regardless of how old I am, I want to end well. 2 Timothy 4:7 says, "I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful."NLT   This is so important to me. I have raised a family, ministered with women for 30+ years and have learn so much about people, but more importantly I have learned that I want to be in growth mode till the last breath I take. Learning and sharing with others is one of God's greatest gifts to us.  Growing and transforming through the light of truth in our minds and hearts gives us an opportunity to pass that light on to someone else.  To have the satisfaction of seeing the light switch on in the heart and mind of another makes the circle of growth complete.  


Second, regardless of our age, we can grow and regardless of what we think we excel in, there are gifts we have that can be passed on to others.  The Psalmist shares in Psalm 78 the importance of passing on God's greatness and impact on our lives to the next generations.  Verse 4 says, "We will not hide these truths from our children; we will tell the next generation about the glorious deeds of the Lord, about his power and his mighty wonders." NLT  


How do we do this?? I believe one way is through mentoring. Through sharing the power of God, the salvation found in Jesus Christ and then the wonderful work that is done through the Holy Spirit in and through our lives.  This is accomplished first and foremost in the most challenging times and also in times of obvious blessing. Sharing manifests itself in the way we have been created for passing on, through the talents, gifts and abilities that each one of us demonstrate everyday.  Consider what you have been given to share. It may be basic life skills such as raising a family, cleaning a house, working in the kitchen. Or it may be creativity through the arts, music, craft creations, painting etc.  You may have a gift of writing or sharing with others how to develop their spiritual walk, their prayer life or building friendships.  


So this year I hope to have many of you join me in an effort to share life with one another through Mentoring Moments provided by ChristLIFE Mentoring Ministries.  I would love to see women of all ages share in a variety of skills that would help each of us move closer to giving of ourselves to others through serving Christ.  


Please think about ways you can share.  Ideas would include:

  • Efficient  homemaking skills
  • Creative ways to minister such as scrapbooking, journaling etc.
  • Hospitality
  • Ministry Opportunities
  • Serving in the community just to name a few.
We have so much we can share with each other. And it is a privilege to be unified in what brings honor and glory to the Lord even in practical ways. 

Please consider ways you can share and come on board with Mentoring Moments.  I would LOVE to hear from you. 
Denise  

5 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're writing this blog and I'll be following with interest...and sharing ideas, I hope!
    I really liked what you said about never being finished with the learning process. I totally agree with that. I remember once being in a class which focused on learning how to study the Bible...and there was a couple there who had to have been in their 80's. In their 80's, and they were still attending classes to learn how better to study the Word! Oh, I want to have that kind of passion and that kind of humble, teachable attitude when I'm that old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AMEN!!! That is how I feel as well. We have two options. Do less as we get older, or do more and that is my goal. So with the new year I figured as good a time as any. Hopefully others will want to join us otherwise we will just grow together!! :-) Thanks for posting friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your new blog! I admire your courage and dedication. It is a relevant topic and in this world of crazy busyness, women need others to come along side them more than ever! God's blessings on this new venture and on your New Year!
    Phyllis B...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Phyllis. Please feel free to share what you have learned in the areas of Mentoring. I know God has used you in many ways over the years and passing on our legacy is God's plan. I look forward to what others will teach me as well. Thank you again Phyllis and have a very blessed 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know how much I respect you and value your walk! Thank you for always stepping out-of-the-box to walk where very few do! I'm so excited about this journey!

    ReplyDelete