Sunday, February 27, 2011

Ministry starts with God

Recently I have been working on Bible Studies that emphasize intimacy with God. As I have been talking with the Lord and reading my Bible, I have been challenged with my relationship with Him.  How does one effectively minister if God has not been made the first priority? Time and time again God will direct me differently than I would have chosen when I give Him the reins of my life and trust Him.  He can direct and I can hear Him when I give him time and I focus on my relationship with Him.  

In the book, Practicing the Presence of God, Brother Lawrence continually makes radical statements that cause one to stop and evaluate intimacy with God. Comments like, "I have no idea how Christians can live satisfied lives without practicing the presence of God," or "Make it a habit to give Him your whole heart and life, not just once but daily.  Even if you're on a busy schedule.  Every minute of every day, if you can.  Don't just go through the motions of worship strictly by the book, locked into the same devotional script all the time.  No, try this:  worship God in faith by believing that He honestly wants to know you better.  Do what you do out of love."  

 Practicing the presence of God starts with what Francis Chan calls in his book, Crazy Love, a "reverential fear" and an understanding that God is waiting to spend quality time with you.  If you move beyond the "habits" of religious activities such as devotions every day at the same time or church whenever the doors are open and instead ask God to give you a hunger and desire to meet with Him, you may begin to build an intimacy that will direct your life and ultimately the way you minister and to whom you ministry in ways you never dreamed possible.    I am not saying to stop attending church or stop doing activities you are involved in but rather to evaluate your intentions....are you checking God and church off your list or are you meeting with Him and others for worship and intimacy at spiritual levels?

Intimacy with God can be developed individually or with a group of women who desire to move forward in their love for their Lord.  I recently concluded a Bible Study by Nancy Leigh DeMoss called, Choosing Gratitude, where meeting with a small group of ladies was a privilege and challenged me in my understanding of the ways God draws each person to Himself.  We all shared and it was great fun to see each one learning something just a little different based on her place of need and desire to grow.  

Intimacy starts with time--time with the God of the Universe who is seeking you to give a love and intimacy that no one else can fulfill but Him.  Find what works for you and if you don't know then ask God to direct you.  Years ago I claimed Jeremiah 33:3 which says, "Call to Me and I will answer you, and will tell you great and hidden things that you have not known."  He has never let me down.

Talk to Him.  Listen for Him.  Prepare to be challenged to move out of your comfort zone and to be blessed.

I would love to hear from you ways God has given you direction for intimacy with Him.  If you have books, Verses, or ways God has led you to grow, please share with us so we can continue this journey together.

No comments:

Post a Comment