Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Between You & God

Recently I have been in discussion with several members of my family as well as co-workers about the difficulty of desiring to live for the Lord and the resulting persecution that occurs.  This can and does ocurr often with those we love who do not appreciate our hearts desire to be like Jesus, especially if they do not know him as their Lord and Savior.  Whether we are in the workplace, in school or connecting with family and friends, if we truly love the Lord and desire to be like Him, we need to assume that someone will be offended.  

Talking with a co-worker, she shared how her daughter is being harrassed at school by another student.  Day after day she deals with riducule and actions that are designed to provoke her into a confrontation.  Being called "sissy" and other hurtful comments can cause pain in the core of our being and if we are not careful cause us to respond with retaliation.  I was so proud of this young girl who was provoked by the actions of another student, and chose to focus on  "how would Jesus respond".  As a result she walked away even in the midst of the name calling from the crowd in the cafeteria.

Jesus said, “Father, forgive them, for they don’t know what they are doing.”  I think it is incedibly important that we learn to respond His way because it is the best protection against a hardened heart. Forgiving those who wrong us, keeps us moving forward for the Lord.   He knew people would be vengeful, jealous and that they would run from His ways if they chose not to love Him.  It is the way of the world to be an enemy of God.  In John 15:18-26 Jesus says,
“If the world hates you, remember that it hated me first.  The world would love you as one of its own if you belonged to it, but you are no longer part of the world. I chose you to come out of the world, so it hates you.  Do you remember what I told you? ‘A slave is not greater than the master.’ Since they persecuted me, naturally they will persecute you. And if they had listened to me, they would listen to you.  They will do all this to you because of me, for they have rejected the One who sent me.  They would not be guilty if I had not come and spoken to them. But now they have no excuse for their sin.  Anyone who hates me also hates my Father. 24 If I hadn’t done such miraculous signs among them that no one else could do, they would not be guilty. But as it is, they have seen everything I did, yet they still hate me and my Father.  This fulfills what is written in the Scriptures: ‘They hated me without cause.’ But I will send you the Advocate—the Spirit of truth. He will come to you from the Father and will testify all about me."


Being friends with God is a far better position to be in and is important to remember when we are hurt by those we love.  Having family members or very close friends working to bring a follower of Christ  down causes great pain but it is the "natural" approach for those who do not choose to have a personal relationship with God.

Our challenge is to decide each time we are hurt, that our commitment to Jesus Christ is of more value than being liked or accepted by those around us.  This is especially hard when those who hurt us are family members or those we consider to be close friends.   Remember Jesus understood rejection better than we could imagine and will comfort us during these moments.

Recently as I was going through a stack of papers that I had kept for encouragement, I found a quote by Mother Teresa.  This quote describes the thought process we should have as we face discouragement from others.  Remember it is really between you and God and not between you and others.


People are often unreasonable and self-centered.
FORGIVE THEM ANYWAY.
If you are kind, people may accuse you of ulterior motives.
BE KIND ANYWAY.
If you are honest, people may cheat you.
BE HONEST ANYWAY.
If you find happiness, people may be jealous.
BE HAPPY ANYWAY.
The good you do today may be forgotten tomorrow.
DO GOOD ANYWAY.
Give the world the best you have, and it may never be enough.
GIVE YOUR BEST ANYWAY.
For you see, in the end, it is between you and god.
NEVER WAS BETWEEN YOU AND THEM ANYWAY.
Mother Teresa 









No comments:

Post a Comment